The State of Florida may require a bond to obtain a title for a vehicle when the applicant is unable to provide a properly assigned Certificate of Title.
Vehicles that are eligible for a bonded title in the State of Florida:
- The vehicle must have been sold in a private sale and must be an automobile, a truck weighing less than 8,000 pounds, or a motorcycle.
- The vehicle must also be between 10 and 25 years old.
- The vehicle must have a current Florida paper title. If the vehicle was last titled in another state, it does not qualify for a bonded title.
Florida does not issue bonded titles if the vehicle has any lines or encumbrances.
Florida also does not issue a bonded title for vessels, mobile homes, recreational vehicles, or off-highway vehicles. If you require a title for any of these types of vehicles, refer to Form 8204, https://www.flhsmv.gov/pdf/forms/82040.pdf
How do I get a bonded title in Florida?
To get a bonded title in Florida from the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles, applicants are required to take the following steps:
- Fill out part A of Form 82042, Vehicle Identification Number and Odometer Verification. https://www.flhsmv.gov/pdf/forms/82042.pdf
- The vehicle must be inspected and then part B of the form 82042 is filled out.
- Get the value of your vehicle through Kelly Blue Book. You will need a clear screenshot of the value to submit with the bond. Kelly Blue Book value must be obtained by using the owner’s residential zip code, mileage, vehicle options, vehicle color, and vehicle’s condition (which at a minimum must be “good”). The amount shown for the “Private Party Value” should be used. The state will reject the bond if any other value is used.
- Purchase a Florida Certificate of Title Bond. When entering the information for the application, you will use the KBB value that you obtained for the value of the vehicle. Our system will calculate the bond amount to be two times the value.
- Complete the Application (Form 82040), https://www.flhsmv.gov/pdf/forms/82040.pdf and an Affidavit (Form 82026), https://www.flhsmv.gov/pdf/forms/82026.pdf
- You will pay all the necessary ales tax and motor vehicle title fees and submit all materials to your nearest FLHSMV office location.
The bond stays in effect for 3 years from the effective date.
Kelley Blue Book evaluation guide: https://www.kbb.com/
Florida DMS Procedure Manual for Bonded Titles: https://www.flhsmv.gov/pdf/proc/tl/tl-70.pdf